Saturday 6 June 2015

Words & Wonders (4)

Welcome to Words & Wonders, a weekly journal of writing updates, links I've found useful or interesting, and book recommendations. I hope W&W will prove to be useful to you writers out there as well as offering an insight into my writing progress for my readers. Don't forget to leave a comment with your own writing progress!


QUEER YA SCRABBLE

Readers, you can win a signed copy of The Beast of Callaire, along with some hella cool other queer YA books, and Writers, you can win a bunch of query and critique prizes, by taking part in the Queer YA Scrabble. It's a sort-of-easter-egg-hunt-sort-of-anagram-puzzle, and it's really fun, and all in favour of raising money for Stonewall, so you'll want to get involved. 

You can find information about the scrabble and my team (Team Dragon, hells yes) over at Gay YA.


May in review:
14,895 words written of The Legend Mirror book 3
271 pages edited of The Dryad of Callaire (TLM2)
& a whole heck of TLM3 plot fleshed out
I edited ALL these pages???
In the Writing Cave, this week I have:

- Checked into The Hotel of Fresh Hell (aka begun line editing) and it takes me three times as long to line edit a page as write it from scratch, so I am definitely, 100% enjoying this slow-ass process. (Sarcasm is possible here.) Yesterday it took me 3 hours to line edit a single page. But this week I've edited 7 pages, so it's a start.

- Revised 40 pages of The Dryad of Callaire by adding my second draft changes to the manuscript.

- Hacked my manuscript to pieces by cutting 10K words (some of them were precious scenes to me, so it felt like carving out a lung.)

- Written 3,717 of The Legend Mirror book 3. With editing getting crazy (and slooooow) I've dedicated weekends to drafting TLM3 and I'm hoping to write like the wind today and tomorrow, so next week I should have better progress on this!

In my life:

- Pretty Little Liars is back and IT FEELS SO GOOD. I screamed when I found out the first episode was on Netflix. Literally. Screamed.

- I also started watching Warehouse 13. I've only seen the odd episode of this, and watching it from the beginning is pretty cool. I like the characters, the premise, and I LOVE Claudia.

On the internet, this week I found useful:

- Questions for Beta Readers by Jodie Renner 
(If you're one of my betas, you can expect to see some of these in my email for DRYAD)

A book I have loved recently:



I finished the Soul Screamers series and I might have cried twice. This series is an emotional drag race. It hurts then it's happy then it hurts again with a side of terrified for your faves. If you haven't read it, I can't recommend it enough.

Hope you're all having a great June!
~Saruuh

No comments:

Post a Comment