Saturday 23 May 2015

Words & Wonders (2)

Welcome to Words & Wonders, a weekly journal of writing updates, links I've found useful or interesting, and book recommendations. I hope W&W will prove to be useful to you writers out there as well as offering an insight into my writing progress for my readers. Don't forget to leave a comment with your own writing progress!

In the Writing Cave, this week I have:

- Struggled with the plot of the third Legend Mirror book. It was supposed to be two story lines that take place concurrently, but I realised there needs to be another happening too, which means another POV. And it got super complicated and hectic for a while midweek. BUT I've bulked out my main story/voice so Yasmin doesn't get drowned out by other POVs, and I'm happy with where I've ended up. 

(The third storyline does involve writing poetry, though ... which is a relatively new thing for this series! I'm crossing my fingers that it works out. Here's a snippet:


And so Pluto used his great power
to fashion a second eruption in
the belly of Vesuvius,
and the survivors of the first quake
did not survive the second.)

- Written 5,926 words of The Legend Mirror book 3. I'm sure there would have been more words if not for the major plot hiccup but I'm feeling happy to have written anything at all.

- Second drafted 44 pages of The Dryad of Callaire, and my output decreased fairly significantly compared to the last few weeks. I'm around 75% done with this second draft, though!

In my life:

- I am so darn hyped for Eurovision. I've been watching the semi finals, and my faves are Israel, Belgium, Latvia, and Australia. I also think I like Malta, but I can't remember who they were, oops. For livetweeting be sure to follow me on Twitter!

- It's the time of year I fall in love with Emmelie De Forest again. I love her music so so much, and if you haven't heard of her please listen to her album Only Teardrops (my favourite songs are Force of Nature and Soldier of Love because they're atmospheric and emotional, but if you like an 80s synth vibe, listen to Change!!)

On the internet, this week I found:

What Lessons From What Stories, by Chuck Wendig (language warning for this post!)
 - Creating An Authentic Historical Atmosphere by Elizabeth May

Hope all your Eurovision faves do well!!
~Saruuh

1 comment:

  1. I'm so hyped for Eurovision, too! My sister and I have a menu planned out and I can't wait for another couple of hours to it start! Belgium is one of my faves too, and I like Israel and Australia. I also love Sweden and Norway :)

    ReplyDelete