Saturday 30 November 2013

Nano 13 (3) & new project


So Nanowrimo is officially over for me. I've finished my Nano project, changed and tweaked a tonne of things in the last week of writing, and tomorrow I'm moving onto my next project after cramming in some world building planning today.

My personal goal for Nano 13 was 40,000, which I am happy to say I surpassed! I would have completed and 'won' had it not been for me running out of plot and book at 47K. It's my shortest first draft by far (now complete at 58,000) so I'd expected much more content to write for Nano. I would have won, had I not already written the first four chapters, but when inspiration strikes it's a mistake to ignore it, even if it is the middle of October.

Either way, I'm happy to have set a personal Nanowrimo record. Next year I am going to write 50K, and I am going to win if it kills me.

Moving on, my next book is a science fiction YA, involving alien planets and interstellar travel (why is there a lack of this hard sci fi in YA? Can teenagers not understand the complexity of space travel? A ship?? That moves through space?!! No, thank you, I can't understand. I can only read about things that exist. Vampires, for example. Those are all the rage for teenagers.

The book and plot kind of attacked me all at once when I was watching the 50th anniversary. I'd read five sci-fi novels, had been watching Pacific Rim religiously, and it hit me all of a sudden that I needed to write a science fiction book. Needed. I'd been putting it off for years, really. Growing up with sci fi, I put a lot of pressure on myself to wait until I had the perfect plot and characters, until I was Super Experienced to write sci fi. Watching Doctor Who, I realised that was kind of dumb. I can write sci fi now and write it in ten years when I'm more experienced. Hell, I can write a hundred novels.

So Nano 13: total success. Bring on next year, when I'll probably be writing the sequel to this year's book.

~Saruuh

No comments:

Post a Comment